to be announced
Pastor Greg Johannes
We prefer to use the term ‘Personal Discipleship’ rather than ‘Personal Counseling’ because we believe that the Bible provides thorough guidance and instruction for faith and life. Therefore, our counseling is based on scriptural principles rather than what people commonly associate with counseling which is based on secular psychology or psychiatry. Neither the pastoral nor the lay counselors of this church are trained or licensed as psychotherapists or mental health professionals.
Everyone wanting to receive personal discipleship must fill out an application / evaluation and turn it into the church office. Applications are available on the information wall.
Our Goal – Our goal in providing Christian discipleship is to help you meet the challenges of life in a way that will please and honor the Lord Jesus Christ and allow you to fully enjoy His love and plans for your life.
Confidentiality – Confidentiality is an important aspect of the discipleship process, and we will carefully guard the information you entrust to us. However, there are five situations when it may be necessary for us to share certain information with others:
1) when a counselor is uncertain of how to address a particular problem and needs to seek advice from another pastor or elder in this church;
2) when a counselee attends another church and it is necessary to talk with his or her pastor or elders;
3) when there is a clear indication that someone may be harmed unless others intervene;
4) when a person persistently refuses to renounce a particular sin and it becomes necessary to seek the assistance of others in the church to encourage repentance and reconciliation; or
5) when a crime has been committed (such as child abuse) we are required by law to report it to authorities (see Proverbs 15:22, 24:11, Matthew 18:15-20, Deuteronomy 13:6-8).
Please be assured that our counselors strongly prefer not to disclose personal information to others, and they will make every effort to help you find ways to resolve a problem as privately as possible.
Requirements for Discipleship – We believe it is part of our ministry to disciple the body of Christ, which is why we don’t charge for our services. However, that is not to say we don’t have some requirements. If you are receiving counseling from any of the Calvario staff we require:
1) you come to church at least two times a week;
2) you show up on time for your appointments and if you have to cancel, you do so on a timely basis;
3) you find childcare for your children so that you will be free from distractions and interruptions;
4) you complete all assignments given to you by your counselor; and
5) that you be completely truthful with your counselor and do not lie, mislead or hide information from them.
Duration of Personal Discipleship – Personal discipleship will be limited to six sessions after which an evaluation will take place to determine if continued discipling is necessary in the best interest of all parties involved.
Having clarified the principles and policies of our discipleship ministry, we welcome the opportunity to minister to you in the name of Christ and to be used by Him as He helps you to grow in spiritual maturity and prepares you for usefulness in His body. If you have any questions about these guidelines, please talk with a pastor or elder before your counseling appointment.